Monday, December 22, 2003

The Best Laid Plans 

Well, after 2 hours of sleep and about 10 hours of missions today, I am completely wiped out. I didn't get the final approval for the second part of the series yet, as the PAO was busy all day long and I never had a chance to get in there and talk to the people in charge. Hopefully I'll be able to meet with them in the morning and, if that's the case, I'll post the closer tomorrow night.

In other news, the entire 1-10 Cavalry will be moving to another location between January 2 and the 10th. We were told before we came to Tikrit that it would be our last move, and of course, it's not. Those of us who were planning on being home in early February are now just hoping that we'll get to go home EVENTUALLY.

Of course, the less they tell us, the safer we are. It's no fun that way because it doesn't give us anything to put hope in, but at least they're maintaining operational security.

| posted by Jeremy Botter at 12/22/2003 07:18:36 PM
|

Sunday, December 21, 2003

A Slight Change Of Plans 



That picture's a "thank you" to the fine folks at Metafilter who have been so supportive over the past few days since the posting of Part One of the Operation Red Dawn story.

With that being said, I've had to change my plans around a bit for the posting of the second article. I've been advised not to post any of the pictures from the Saddam raid until I've decided if I'm going to license them out to one of the news organizations that have contacted me. There's a pretty good chance of that happening sometime in the near future here, and by posting the pictures on the website I'd be making them fair game for anyone to use under the "Fair Use" laws. Until that point, I can't post them -- but if I decide to forego the news people, I will be publishing them here. I hope most of you will understand that it's the only real decision I can make right now. I never quite expected the publicity this thing has gotten, and I want to make sure things are handled the right way through our public affairs office.

The second part of the story will still be posted as planned tomorrow night barring any operations changes or emergencies. It might be a late posting; I've got to run to Camp Speicher tomorrow with a convoy and when I get back I'm going to assume (probably quite correctly) that they'll send me out on one of the two evening patrols. I'll get back as soon as possible.

| posted by Jeremy Botter at 12/21/2003 09:34:00 PM
|